A quick listing of acronyms:
What are all these acronyms we are throwing about? And, more specifically, what the heck is an EDMU?
- DMU – Diesel Multiple Unit
- EMU – Electrical Multiple Unit
(a good example of an EMU is the VTA light rail)
- EDMU – Electro-Diesel Multiple Unity
(works a lot like a hybrid bus: the primary propulsion is through an electric motor fed by batteries charged by a gas or diesel generator)
- IPEMU – Independently Powered Electric Multiple Unit
- Tram-Train – A tram-train is a light-rail public transport system where trams run through from an urban tramway network to main-line railway lines which are shared with conventional trains
In our case, an EDMU would run off diesel generators between Blossom Hill and Tamien, overhead electrical power between Tamien and Santa Clara and back to diesel generators between Santa Clara and Alviso.